My dear husband loves the kitchen and most Thanksgivings we work together. This year however he only stepped in to carve the turkey. I actually began carving and he walked in the kitchen and said... "are you being impatient here... this is my job, step aside" and I happily did! I love company in the kitchen and the kids had school as Thanksgiving as it is not an international holiday. We could have taken them out but didn't see any reason as I would just cook all day and we would have dinner at the regular hour when they got home.
I did have a lot help with my housekeeper Judy here! She and I seem to have a really great way of working together. She is so sweet, soft-spoken and happy to learn the American way (and I'll have to get a picture soon now I think). And she is sooo good at what she does, so hardworking... she set the table and helped peel potatoes, made the mashed potatoes and gravy, and grandma's oatmeal raisin chocolate chip cookies for me, kept the dishwasher loaded and going along with much, much more. She was good company till my kiddos came home.

Note Penny eyeing those apron strings to play!

It was a very nostalgic Thanksgiving for us with changes in our family just around the corner. While we had invited a family to share with, they were not able to come. So, it was just us. We took a little time to reflect on our family. We are so proud of our children. They are all growing so much. It seems every other day someone tells me how much they appreciate them, or asks me what we have done to have such well behaved, respectful children. We could have a diaster as many times as we have moved them and as hard as we are on them... rebellion would be a huge challenge for us. But instead they choose to embrace the change and take hold of everything set before them and flourish. So many times I tell people I have done nothing, they are just good kids. Although one day I did think hard about what we do as parents, and I believe we do expect a lot, setting the standard high. And we try very hard to be consistent. I think those things are key and have paid off. That and a lot of praying, and working as a team Joey and I. It has taken years to learn best how to appreciate and compliment each other in this marriage and in raising children. But God has taught us both so much and I see everyday the benefits of working with my husband as a team. Finally, I love my little family and am so thankful to God for blessing us in so many way.

Buzz and Penny just wanted to be a part... it was their first Thanksgiving ya know and that turkey sure smelled great! Penny took my chair the moment I got up to take a picture of the table. I pulled the chair aside and got another so she could be part in her own way. Buzz on the other hand hopped from one lap to another making the kids giggle through the whole meal! I thought someone was going to choke they were laughing so hard and it was so surprising when she hit your lap!
What fun they add to our home...HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
2 comments:
Joey looks good in the kitchen! Check out Penny at his feet. She is ready if he drops a crumb.
What a beautiful table setting!
He always looks great in the kitchen. He is more comfortable in there than I. And although Im learning every year, he will always be better in the kitchen. He has the gift. He did not cook anything for Thanksgiving this year, however, and he commented that everything I made was really at its best. Every year one or two things are excellent and everything else OK. But this year everything turned out excellent; sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, stuffing, mashed potatoes, turkey, gravy, pumpkin pie. Maybe he should stay out of my way more often. All but the 2 recipes that were new. Cranberry sauce was a bit tart. But my kids who like sour patch candy loved it. And I didn't like the roll recipe I used at all. They were just OK. Will try something else next year for rolls.
Post a Comment