Monday, November 22, 2010

City Centre Touring and Santa


This morning my friend and I toured with another visiting friend. We started at the Park Pobedy metro which was a monument on its own. I have never been in an empty metro station! And it turns out that the museum here at Victory Park was closed so of course the metro was empty! On our way to Victory Park we stopped by the Triumphal Arch built to commemorate the victory over Napoleon in the war of 1812.
Onto Victory Memorial Park dedicated to the victory over the Nazi's in the Great Patriotic War 1941- 1945 . The the left is a small a Orthodox Church which is really nice but there is also a museum and some open air exhibits as well as some beautiful gardens which we will have to return to enjoy another day.
We then hopped onto the metro and made our way to Christ the Savior Cathedral which is a beautiful place to visit with an interesting history. It was originally built by Napoleon back in in the late 1839. It was demolished in 1931, chosen by socialists as a site for a monument to socialism. Lack of funds and problems with flooding prevented this monument from successfully being built and the waterhole was turned into the world's open air swimming pool. In 1970 the church was given permission to rebuilt and was this beautiful cathedral as consecrated in August 2000.
On our way home we ran into the the Santa billboard and it is wonderful!
This picture really doesn't do it justice.
oh and my stacking doll! I love this doll... would buy it but when I asked how much they told me it is not for sale. So I took a picture hoping maybe someday I can find someone to paint one for me!


No comments: