Saturday, March 28, 2009

Moving forward

Funny, I have pictures of when we were first married like this! We actually did own one dresser, Joey's bachelor furniture (see photo below), but we were living in an apartment the first 6 mos we were married as we waited for a house to open up on base and didn't want to take shipment of our household goods just to move them again. So I used boxes. We didn't have a place to set our TV though so we Joey's old weight bench. It was lovely ...

But anyway, after being married almost 18 years, the bachelor furniture is now gone. It has moved on. It served us well... moving with us 8 times and holding up incredible well. As we make our move back to the states and we are always so close on our housing weight allowance we felt it was time to let it go. It just wasn't worth the $1.00/pound we will have to pay if we are over our limit. And we cannot take it to Moscow so after next year it would be stored for 2 yrs anyway... soooo... sorry... we go back a few years, old furniture, but now you must serve some other young military family just as faithfully as you did us!!

I am actually unloading quite a bit these days making frequent trips to the thrift shop and leaving more than I might find to buy for a change! But my new found way is this ingenious website http://www.ramsteinyardsales.com/. It is amazing! Everything I have listed here has sold within 24hrs for the asking price. The email traffic has kept me pretty busy this week but I can always manage email and do 100 other things at the same time! And then these nice people come to my door, pay me and take these things away!! I sold an old weathered rocker for $5! and I don't have to load these things in my car and run here and there... etc... etc.. it is wonderful. Yesterday I sold the turkey fryer and smoker... boom, gone!!! Wow, it was an awesome feeling!! Joey has gone to work everyday this week saying "...don't sell the house or the volvo... OK..." We sold his car today! Listed it at 9 am this morning...gone... well the new owner will actually pick it up in a few weeks right before he leaves... but gone, taken care of, load off his mind!

So anyway, we are moving forward! and in the meantime we will have a few boxes here and there... we always do when we move...

(at this point, be sure to check the post (Performances now online), as the links to M's Creative Connections performance are now available!!)

4 comments:

Renee said...

Ahhhh... the joys of a PCS. I have a friend in TX (her dh is an AF chaplain) that is PCSing to Japan; it's their first overseas move and she is stressed. They have 9 children but 4 will stay back in the States for college... she is desperately trying to limit their weight but they own big stuff like canoes, extra appliances, etc....I guess we've been fortunate to never get near to our weight limit even with our larger than avg family. Must be because most of our furniture is pine

Joe and Carolyn said...

That old dresser still looks pretty good. Hopefully whoever got it will get as good wear out of it as you all have. Carolyn

Kendra said...

Nicki, I STILL have the picture you sent me of Joey's "weight bench turned entertainment center"... we were musing to ourselves whether Lynette Jennings would be impressed with your decorating savvy! LOLOLOL
Good luck with the move, dear.

7redz said...

too funny Kendra!