
I never seem to pick up the camera on Thanksgiving. But this Thanksgiving Day someone else did for me. They took pictures I am so thankful to have! ...although they are not of our wonderful Thanksgiving company... neighbors, and my sister Janine and her husband Gary with which we shared a traditional meal and lots of fun fellowship with!! Nor are they of Joey's yummy fried turkey or all the sides I had prepared. But rather they are of earlier in the day where Joey and I had commited to come to C's 3rdKlass to teach English and about Thanksgiving. One father was there observing and noticed we had brought a camera... and it was just sitting there...he picked it up and motioned to Joey, who motioned in agreement... yes indeed take some for us!!! I think this will be one of my favorite Germany memories.
These beautiful children were wide-eyed and eager to hear what we had to share about our holiday, Thanksgiving. I shared about the origin of the holiday and how we celebrate today...then showed them some of the crafts my kids had made over the years which I had saved. They clapped.
Universal communication!! Smiles, claps, laughter. Food... whip cream! We shared some pumpkin pie (most actually like it!)and then made a turkey together for their classroom (the one at the top) each writing something they were thankful for on their feather.
Many came and said thank you's to me excited to practise their English. We are so thankful to have this opportunity to be here in Germany and share our culture with them... and so thankful to have learned so much from them as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment