Happy, Happy Thanksgiving
Over the river, and through the wood,
To Grandfather's house we go;The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh through the white and drifted snow.
Over the river, and through the wood—
Oh, how the wind does blow!It stings the toes and bites the nose As over the ground we go.
Over the river, and through the wood—
Now Grandmother's cap I spy!Hurrah for the fun! Is the pudding done?Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!
Over the river, and through the woodTrot fast, my dapple-gray!Spring over the ground like a hunting-hound,For this is Thanksgiving Day.
Thanksgiving is one day when we miss seeing our family. I was really missing everyone alot this year but this was tempered by having a very special family over to celebrate with us. They had never experienced this American holiday so were excited to come. We of course had the normal Thanksgiving cuisine - turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, green salad, fruit salad, bread, cranberry sauce! and pumpkin pie and toffee bars! And I was thankful and a little amazed that they seemed to like everything! Our German friends would often pass on the sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie, but not this family. I think growing boys are always hungry and will eat just about anything and that may have helped, but still it was nice to see them try everything and enjoy our thanksgiving spread! We then enjoyed visiting and the younger ones a game of Wii, the older ones a game of Jenga and then we had just enough time to watch the old cartoon version of How the Grinch Stole Christmas. As Joey and I recited lines from our childhood days, they laughed and enjoyed the experience with us. What a perfect Thanksgiving day to count our blessings of good health, loving family, and warm friends! Btw, the question was asked - are there any songs that go with this holiday. I remembered this one above that we used to sing as we drove to Grandma's when I was a little girl, but had not sung it in so long couldn't remember the words. So I looked them up and to my surprise there were 12 verses! I included the 4 that I remember singing!

Another note - I did absolutely 100 % of the cooking this year, oops except for the mashed potatoes. Joey carved the turkey as always! Thanks Judy for your help in cutting things up, serving and cleaning up! And for taking this group picture for us!! Hope you enjoyed your pumpkin pie as much as we all did!
These last two pictures are taken by Seth for his media project- and seriously are my cooking... not pictures from a Betty Crocker cookbook!
Im so proud of him and me!!
1 comment:
Your food looked delicious! Very impressive! How could they not have enjoyed that beautiful pie? :-)
I remember singing that song too, thanks for posting it.
Have a wonderful Christmas season!
Post a Comment