Sunday, May 23, 2010

Washington Monument

Our goal today was to get to the top of the Monument. With a big storm last night, and rain predicted all day we were not sure if we would get it done but we set out to try. I've learned although the pictures don't always turn out great the best time to go into DC is on days such as these because it is comfortable temperatures and really thins the crowd! That and go in early so you can park for free and be leaving by the time the real crowd comes! Anyway, we had a great time and did indeed achieve our goal. Enjoy the photos!

When we left the house it was raining and rained heavier along the way but as we approached the bridge it began to stop. When we got out of the car the clouds were still pretty heavy and although the sun wasn't shining there was one beam right on the Lincoln. Below was taken after we were at the top on the WM... so you can see how is cleared up for us!
These are taken through the windows so look darker than they really were....



We then set off to finish off the Museum of Natural History.
We love being able to go in to the capital and take just a little at a time.
We've got to step up it a notch though... our days here are numbered!!

2 comments:

Granny Jo said...

sorry but I think I lost the first comment I made this morning???
I really like the pictures. The kids are getting so so big. I hate to think of how they will change in the next 2 years.
Always enjoy the landscape pictures as well. see. next comment

Granny JO said...

I Always enjoy the DC pictures.
It is a beautiful panoramic view of the city with its division into four major segments. From that vantage point, Did you notice the original plan of the designer, Pierre Charles l'Enfant ..a perfect cross imposed upon the landscape, with the White House to the North. The Jefferson Memorial is to the South, the Capitol to the East and the Lincoln Memorial to the West.


Can anyone tell me the two words 555 feet into the air inscribed on the East side of the cap of the Monument?

"Laus Deo" latin translation Praise God or Praise be to God !


Another detail that is hardly ever mentioned is that in Washington, D.C. there can never be a building of greater height than the Washington Monument

Isn't that interesting?