Monday, March 21, 2011

St Petersburg Day 2


Joey was suppose to work this morning but his commitment was delayed 24 hrs so we got to tour a little together before I was headed to the airport and back to Moscow. We took a walk to see The Church of the Resurrection of Jesus Christor what I call the "St Basil look alike"
It sits on this canal and has been totally renovated inside. On the outside the two look similar in architecture, but on the inside they are very different. St Basil's is a bit of a maze with 9 separate chapels. This is one large cathedral inside with many beautiful paintings.
On our way home I took this picture of St Isaac's and you can see how the weather changed and we were thankful we had gone up for the view yesterday!
You can kinda see the staircase from the small tower on the right that leads up to the second columns around the circular part. This is the colonnade and where you go to see a spectacular view of the city. And we were so glad to have done it when it was clear!




4 comments:

Renee said...

I LOVE old churches... thanks for sharing your excursion

Judie (Granny jo's friend) said...

Oh my gosh...I could have stayed on the computer looking at your (Nicki's) blog and been up most of the evening...past my bedtime for sure. They are absoluetly breathtaking and others are simply great family photos. I really love being able to see these..and I truly appreciate being included...thank you , thank you
thank you
Judie

7redz said...

thanks, Judie, for checking in on us here on the blog!

Cousin Sierra (2 months from being 13) said...

It's so not fair! I am in love with russian architecture!Especially the russian palaces etc. with the ice cream swirl looking tops.