Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Russian lessons come to an end.

I love plants in my home but they really don't move well so for years I avoided them. One day a few moves ago I saw the saddest little dying violet on clearance, just a couple bucks. I bought it and nursed it back to life. I then gave it to my mother when I moved (we were in IL at the time so she was really close... that was a good 2 yrs huh mom?!!) I so enjoyed it I decided from that time on I would buy a plant whenever I moved in and give it to a friend I made while we were there when I moved away. Here I am saying goodbye to my friend and teacher. I was really excited to learn Russian but apprehensive as well. I'm still a pretty quiet, soft spoken kinda person. Sometimes it is hard for me to open my mouth in English. It would not have taken much for me to give up on Russian. But with Louisa I was so comfortable. She was so patient and even fun. She never laughed at me. (well she did once but that was after teaching me for 7 mos!) She carefully and kindly corrected me without embarrassing me or breaking my spirit as I made the same mistakes over and over. She listened and encouraged as I butchered the sounds and read like a first grader, slowly sounding out every word. I cannnot thank her enough. I learned so much! Enjoy your flower (and your book) Louisa... and keep in touch.
So I am very sad this is over ... but relieved as well as there is so much to do in preparation for our move... stay tuned here as we wrap up our year in DC.

2 comments:

Renee said...

so when do y'all leave for Moscow?

Mom said...

It seems so long ago and yet like it was yesterday. The violet you gave me grew and grew and we split it among all the girls. I now have two branches - one blooming abundantly and the other just limping along like a little shy violet. Thanks again
Love Mom