This year dyeing eggs was an all day affair. I wanted to make egg tulips like my grandmother used to have and C had gotten a Ukrainian egg dye kit for her bday so we wanted to try that (for both these we had to blow eggs out, that was fun!) and then we could not go without doing them the traditional American way as well! All told we had lots of eggs and lots of fun.
For the Ukrainian eggs we took this tool and heated it, loaded it with wax and applied it to the egg. We had drawn our pattern on with pencil and followed those line. It was challenging but fun to try.

Wax applied with the tool stays on thicker than the crayon we traditionally use. Then you are to heat the egg up again and remove the wax. We have yet to do that step... and the crayon is was much easier to use... so not sure we will try again but it was fun to try. Below is a picture Easter morning of the egg tulips finished. They don't stand up like I remember Grandma's but we thought they looked nice.
Here are the eggs like we traditionally color them. I just love colored eggs. The Ukrainian egg dye was very brilliant. And we have never had black before. But I ended up liking theblack ones just as much as the others!
(and there are two small Ukrainian bought eggs too that Natasha gave me)
(note - all but the last 5 pics were taken by my 7yr old... he is quite a photographer I think)




3 comments:
Oh! I love this egg blog. Yes, John has a good eye and a steady hand. VERY good job with the camera. Who made the maroon/brown Ukranian egg? It is very nice.
Granny Jo
That was Clara. She really hung in there, applied more wax and dyed her Ukrainian egg twice. The rest of us were all tired and only did it once.
Clara is the true artist. About the tulip eggs. Aun t Clara and I remember the pipe cleaner stem was circled around the bottom a little and then brought to the center? How do I say this like a small rope circle turn.
Post a Comment