Thursday, April 1, 2010

Cherry Blossom Festival

Cherry Blossom Festival
This motley crew got up early and headed into DC on the most gorgeous day ever. We got there at 8am and found parking about a mile walk from the Tidal Basin. It was unbelievably beautiful. And getting there early was key for parking and to miss the crowd. There were plenty of people but not overcrowded until about 1 and by then we were finished and heading back to our car! Yes one child is missing. S was on a trip with the church youth group over spring break.

I got sooo many postcard like pictures I couldn't share them all,
but here are a few.

There are I think 4 different kinds of cherry blossoms. We didn't look that closely to see the differences. I just felt so fortunate to be able to go and on such a nice day! I did read later that they bloom pink, then turn white, then as they begin to wilt turn back to pink again. We saw mostly white so we were right in the mid or peak I am guessing. All I know is it was really special for me to see.




This last one is not a cherry blossom but a tulip tree, but so pretty I had to post it.



3 comments:

Joe and Carolyn said...

It is for sure the most beautiful site in D.C. Connie and I went several years ago and it is not possible to describe it, if you don't see it in person. Glad you had such a beautiful day to go.

Joe and Carolyn said...

BTW, your photos are fantastic!!! I've been watching for them...

7redz said...

I always get behind in March there is so much going on! But catching up today...